Child Safety and Landlords
We have been active in encouraging the use of child safe blinds, or compliant safety devices ever since we started in 2009. Since 2014 any window dressings supplied and fitted by us has complied with BS EN 13120:2009+A1:2014. This has included any fitted in a let property. However new guidance has been released specifically for the Rental market.
The Landlords Responsibility
Trading Standards advises that:
- Landlords have a duty of care to their tenants. Including keeping their rented properties safe and free from health hazards: https://www.gov.uk/renting-out-a-property/landlord-responsibilities
- Landlords therefore have a responsibility to ensure all blinds installed anywhere in their properties which contain cords or chains (which may be hazardous) are safe
- If the blinds cannot be made safe by the addition of a compliant safety device(s) they should be replaced.
- Blinds installed by the landlord or their agent after February 2014 must be compliant with the child safety requirements of BS EN 13120:2009+A1:2014
- Blinds installed by the tenant should be checked to ensure they are compliant as part of the landlord/agent inspections
- Tenants should be advised of the child safety aspects of internal window blinds.
- Compliance with the standard is required irrespective of the age of the tenants. This includes sites where no children are present
- This advice covers all residential environments. Including (but is not exclusive to) homes, holiday homes, mobile homes, caravans and boats
The Good News
If you used Surrey Blinds to provide and install your blinds since 2014 blinds, then they will have complied with the legislation at the time they were fitted. All you need to do is check them to make sure that any necessary child safety additions are still in place and secure!
Blinds fitted Pre 2014
If your blinds were fitted pre 2014 then we advise that you make them as safe as possible. Simply fitting cleats at least 1.5metres from the floor, and instructing your tenants on the correct use of them can make blinds safer. A wide selection of Blind Cleats can be found cost effectively on Ebay, and easily fitted using a couple of screws!
Need New Blinds?
If you are looking for new blinds then we can help. There is a huge range of window coverings which are classed as Child Safe by design. These blinds include Vertical Blinds with Wand Operation, Tensioned Pleated Blinds, Motorised Blinds and Shutters. And there are more!
Why not book a free no-obligation Virtual Consultation with one of our knowledgeable team who can help answer any questions that you have and help you choose Child Safe blinds for your Tenants!